Employment at The Book Man
All Positions are Currently Filled
.... but do not despair! We accept applications at all time, and keep them on file for unanticipated openings. We post all available positions on our Facebook group, as well as in this space.
Thank you for your interest in employment with The Book Man!
Book Lovers Unite!
Has the idea of working in a used bookstore always appealed to you? Do you adore the idea of being surrounded by books, people who love them, and sharing your knowledge and love of the written word with them? Do you get a strange thrill out of organizing and tidying, and genuinely like helping people? Or perhaps youre a booklover with these qualities who is also a typing whiz, loves data entry and has a knack for paying close attention to detail.
The Book Man is an award winning employer. We believe in the simple truth that our bookstore could not exist in the way that it does without its amazing and dedicated staff. As such, we come from a place of gratitude and generosity in our employment standards.
First off, lets tell you about some of the benefits, and at the end of the page, well give you some tips to get your resume noticed, and help you stand out, as well as provide you with an application form.
While job openings are few and far between at The Book Man, we are always accepting applications. We always go through resumes that we have on file before posting a job as being available, so be sure to get yours in the stack!
Our extended medical plan for full-time employees includes massage, physiotherapy, acupuncture, naturopathy, global health insurance, and many other coveted and rare benefits. Of course there are also the very important core benefits such as prescription coverage (80%), Dental coverage (80%) and life insurance ($25,000)
The Book Man fans staff member, Amanda
Life Comes First
We support each of our employees dreams in different ways, individual to the needs of each of our staff members. Staff members who participate in community theatre are given the time off that they need for performances. Others prefer to live a dream of going to Europe for a month to travel; we allow you the time off, with job security waiting for you on your return. You support our dreams, and we support yours - its a core value, and our employees say that they have never felt so supported and cared for at any other job.
Health is of the utmost importance to each human being, and fitness plays a big role in this! To recognize peoples desires to stay healthy, we provide unlimited drop-ins at our local leisure centre for our staff members. If you go to the gym more than three times a week, we will pay for a membership for you.
Books, books and more books!
Our store becomes your personal library. Borrow what youd like to read, and return it when youre done! Employees get 20% off of their purchases, and they can extend this discount to family and friends. We also give work incentive bonuses in the form of cash trading credit so that you can keep up with your ever-growing pile of books that you want to buy (its a hazard of the job, what can we say!)
Theres something pretty amazing about coming into work and having a cake waiting for you - for no reason! The Book Man loves pastries, cookies, and goodies in general (hence the gym memberships) so you can enjoy a steady stream of delicious treats to go with the neverending stream of tea and coffee that we also provide. We also provide fruit, and purified water, and lovely herbal teas.
.... there are so many other benefits to working at The Book Man. We give regular pay raises, foster a working environment infused with respect, caring and happiness, and lead with both our hearts and our minds in all aspects of management.
We have two areas of employment at The Book Man - Store Front & Internet Sales - with a total of four different job descriptions.
Store Front Position (Customer Service)
- Performing basic opening and closing chores associated with keeping our store neat, tidy, and well looked after. We have a custodial engineer for the heavier cleaning.
- Customer service; you are on the frontlines with our valued customers, providing outstanding service, being helpful, friendly, polite and knowledgeable about all of our policies, procedures and the layout of our store.
- You will work with our self-built software, which enables you to do tillwork, locate books within our store, take requests, and assign credits and debits to customer accounts.
- Youll use the internet on a daily basis, so a complete comfort with computers is a must. Browsing sites to find new authors, the order of a series, or what a book is selling for on-line. Minimum touch typing skills of 60wpm (no peeking at your fingers) are a definite asset. There is a practical computer exam during the interview process.
- Sorting incoming books onto organized shelves, and putting said books away in their sections. Learn the art of knowing the ONE spot that each book belongs in our store; its what makes The Book Man so organized for our customers to browse.
- Youll learn how to purchase books from customers for trading credit.
- Nietzsche our bookstore cat is part of our Book Man family; youll help with his care.
There are three different positions in our internet sales department.
On-line Customer Service
- Responsible for all customer service for on-line orders, filling orders, and printing postage. This job belongs to Amanda McEwan, and she intends to work here for at least twenty years, so you might as well not even know this job exists.
- Data entry staff receive at least a month of basic storefront training and employment before moving into their data entry roles. This enables applicants to get the "lay of the land so that they have a firm grasp on where sections are located. It also enables applicants to be able to help up front when needed, and answer customers questions with confidence and ease.
- Data entry staff are required to be able to touch type (no peeking at the keyboard, your eyes need to be on the books, and on the screen!) There is a practical exam during interviews, so brush up on your typing skills, and wow us with your "fingers of flurry!" Our current staff type 60wpm and upwards. Bonus points for knowing shortcuts (Control C = copy, Shift + Tab moves you backwards in a form, and many other strange little oddities that will make you faster than a speeding bullet.)
- Responsible for sorting incoming books into similar binding types, entering all relevent data, printing labels, and preparing books for the storefront. This comprises the bulk of our working day in the internet office.
- Responsible for doing inventory, data control, maintaining the website, blog, maintaining our rare books room.
- Using software to alert us when a book comes in that has been requested by a customer, and subsequently calling those customers to let them know that their book has arrived.
- Processing restocks from the back room; changing their locations in our software, reprinting labels as needed.
- Taking books to our stock room; Seasonal books, culls, and duplicates all make their way to the back room every day.
- Using barcode scanners, personal computers, basic telephone system, fax machines, regular printer, label printers, multiple pieces of software and multiple internet windows at once; multi-tasking is your middle name!
- Basic closing chores such as emptying garbages, recycling, tidying up the office and restocking supplies that we use on a daily basis.
- All data entry staff are also trained in till work and customer service, and shelve books at least one day a week. Its a great way to stretch out those shoulders, to get to know your fellow Book Elves better, and meet some of our incredible customers!
- Packing books in our mailing department for shipment to our mail order customers. Bonus! You can listed to your i-pod and rock out whilst doing so!
- Driving to the post office in Canada, and in Sumas, WA twice a week in a company vehicle. You must be able to lift bags weighing 60 pounds, have a valid passport, and be allowed to enter the U.S.
- Responsible for keeping inventory on shipping supplies and restocking supplies bi-weekly.
- Responsible for one large monthly top of up supplies in the back room on a day that works for both us and you.
- Transferring books between branches alongside the mail when/if there is room.
- "Fresh Start Monday" jobs around the store such as window cleaning, watering plants, weeding, doing small handyman tasks, etc.
How to Apply
There are two ways to apply at The Book Man. The first is to fill out our on-line form (bottom of page), and follow it up with your resume IMMEDIATELY by email to email@example.com (in .doc format only). The second is to send us a traditional cover letter and resume (details at the end of the page). Note: We look at your ability to correctly follow instructions and accuracy in your application as part of our pre interview process.
If you are opting for a more traditional method, there are some key questions that we need to know the answers to that should be addressed in your cover letter:
- Why would you like to work at The Book Man?
- What type of employment are you seeking? (Full-time, Part-Time)
- Are your hours of availability flexible?
- What is your average typing speed?
- Are you VERY comfortable with computers, and do you learn new programs easily?
- How long do you intend to work at The Book Man (ie - are you going to school, and are only looking for summer employment, or do you want to be here for decades!)
We would love to get to know you a little bit in your cover letter as well! Think of things that make you unique, and keep in mind that we are looking for your more exceptional traits. Our staff is filled with people with oustanding work ethics, personalities and outlooks on life; tell us what sets you apart in life!
Perhaps you could answer some of these questions in your cover letter:
- What are you most proud of in your life?
- What gives your life the most meaning?
- Who is your favourite author, and why?
- How widely have you read, and what book knowledge would you bring with you to The Book Man?
- What special qualities would you bring to our staff and customers?
- Recommend a book to us; tell us about it, get us excited about it!
Use the opportunity of your cover letter to be creative, and really give us a sense of who you are. Weve had resumes that are bound into books, attached to handmade sock monkeys, self produced CDs, poems explaining why people would be perfect for the job, page long "raps", quotes from Dr. Seuss as opening lines, short stories. Simpler things that have stood out include reference letters attached to the resume explaining why Ms. X would be PERFECT for the bookstore!! Our managers name is Amber Short, so if you would like to use her name in your cover letter you can.
(Resume Tree, Job Application 2010)
Resumes can be emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (please send them in .doc format) or sent to us at:
The Book Man
45939 Wellington Avenue
Chilliwack, BC V2P 2C6
We are an equal rights employer. It is a core value to accept and support each individual as just that, an individual. We consider all applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability or sexual orientation.