Please send us a traditional cover letter and resume by emailing us at email@example.com (resumes must be in .pdf format). Note: We look at your ability to correctly follow instructions and accuracy in your application as part of our pre-interview process.
If you are opting for a more traditional method, there are some key questions that we need to know the answers to that should be addressed in your cover letter:
- Why would you like to work at The Book Man?
- What makes you ideal to join our team?
- What are your hours of availability? We are often looking for weekend coverage, and our hours are 9:30am-5:30pm.
- What is your average typing speed?
- Are you VERY comfortable with computers and do you learn new programs easily?
- How long do you intend to work at The Book Man (i.e. – are you going to school and are only looking for summer employment or do you want to be here for decades!)?
We would love to get to know you a little bit in your cover letter as well! Think of things that make you unique and keep in mind that we are looking for your more exceptional traits. Our staff is filled with people with outstanding work ethics, personalities, and outlooks on life; tell us what sets you apart in life!
Perhaps you could answer some of these questions in your cover letter:
- What are you most proud of in your life?
- What gives your life the most meaning?
- Who is your favourite author and why?
- How widely have you read and what book knowledge would you bring with you to The Book Man?
- What special qualities would you bring to our staff and customers?
- Recommend a book to us! Tell us about it; get us excited about it!
Use the opportunity of your cover letter to be creative and really give us a sense of who you are. We’ve had resumes that are bound into books, attached to handmade sock monkeys, self-produced CDs, poems explaining why people would be perfect for the job, page long “raps”, quotes from Dr. Seuss as opening lines, and short stories. Simpler things that have stood out include reference letters attached to the resume explaining why Ms. X would be PERFECT for the bookstore! Our manager’s name is Amber Price, so if you would like to use her name in your cover letter you can.
We are an equal rights employer. It is a core value to accept and support each individual as just that, an individual. We consider all applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, creed, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or sexual orientation.